Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Calm

So my lesson today was probably the most fundamental technique lesson on breathing and onset I have ever experienced. Yet I have this sense of weird calm about it. I went into the lesson with hopes but no expectations. I was willing to be creative, look foolish, and listen out side my head for sounds in response to what my teacher was asking of me.
In his words... 'today you came further than... at any point up to this point, and today you showed yourself that you're going to make changes, that you can make these changes... change deeply ingrained physical coordinations and your concepts of singing."
This should scare the Beelzebub out of me. It would have last week. Simply because everything I knew physically about creating a sound is different with what he was getting me to do. It feels different. It sounds different. The energy is different. My jaw and the resonance is different. But different is scary, different is unfamiliar, and different is difficult to recreate. But not today.
I believe my calm is because I trust this teacher. I don't believe I have fully trusted an applied voice teacher before. I have always been second guessing and critically analyzing everything in the past. But this one... has been there, done that, and proven his teachings with his former students. All that I have studied, and I studied singing treatises for fun in my spare time, he has not said anything that I have not read before by historically acclaimed pedagogues. Just the words he chooses to challenges me, the order of exercises in which he takes me through the lessons, his patience as he pauses for a split second so I may absorb the new physicality, with this I'm not worried. Change is good. This... is... good. :>

No comments:

Post a Comment