Monday, December 12, 2011

Post Show Blues

Is there ever a perfect length or run of a production? They always seem either too short or too long. Energy either wains by the end, or you're left feeling like you never fully realized the potential of your character.
I just finished a theatre production, acting not opera, and I think I stand on the latter of the two this time. Through the run of the show I received much positive feedback on my characters, and the director was happy with me. Yet on a personal challenge level, I don't know if I did enough. I explored character nuances, played with line delivery, word emphases and intentions, presence and postural considerations, facial and body language, yet there is this nagging unfulfilled feeling that I missed something. I know I miss the fact that this was spoken and not a sung production, and since this was my first play, maybe that energy of singing element IS what I miss. Something nagging. Something indeed. It will not stop me from exploring the acting stage again, I am just left wondering. Is that it, this time?

No comments:

Post a Comment