Monday, January 2, 2012

Best thing I did for myself to survive Christmas

It is surprising to me how something mundane can improve your whole day. The last time I needed socks I bought myself not just the standard basic every day socks that I usually wear, but the ones with the nice stitching on them. The ones that I actually wanted, that cost $2 more. There was nothing wrong with the socks that I usually buy, I just decided to get the stitched ones this time. Best $2 I ever spent. It was not an exciting or glamorous decision but it resulted in a pleasant surprise.

As a Canadian, I take my shoes off when I go inside someone's home, but I never really thought of how my socks then represented me. The various outings, house parties, and dinners this Christmas were no different than any other year but for my one slight difference. I liked my socks. I liked how my socks made me feel about my shoe-less feet. I felt better about my presentation of self.

Sock picking could easily be called the most mundane task of dressing. When I would reach for the 'nice socks' I would have a nicer day. It is silly I know, but if the small things add up in the whole then 'nice sock days' are better.

Now if I would pair this up with the good underwear day, I'd be unstoppable.

No comments:

Post a Comment