Monday, May 21, 2012

Why are you trying so hard?

I find this is something that keeps coming up in my studio. In my preparation and with my students. I like it for its two fold meaning: "Why are you over doing that extra physical effort?" (Over breathing, unwilling/unable to let go of preconceived effort, practically screaming, and why is there so much tension in your body when you sing?) More than that though I like "What drives you?"
Everything that is worth doing requires some effort, but what motivates you? This question has no stock answer. It's different for every activity. Its the key to smokers quitting. It's the drive to lift 300 pounds at the gym (I don't remember if that is a lot. It sounds like a lot to me at this moment.) Why is the foundation of character and who we are. We are what we do, more so than what we say. So in the development of personal potential, why then do you sing? Are you truly interested in learning a new skill, or are you looking for an ego stroke? Are you truly ready to rise up to the challenge of making a change? When that change meets you face on, do you allow it or attack it?
Your creativity and flexibility is what will determine your success. You will surround yourself with the people that will help or hinder to the level that you can handle. When the help arrives, will you be focused to follow through?
It is surprising to me how the most flexible, engaged, and effortless things in singing creates the clearest and most beautifulest tones. Yet as the embodiment of our own instrument we constantly struggle and fight ourselves, adding in extra stress where it's not needed. What drives you? Why do you struggle with the same fights? Have you made your goals and are truly seeing them through?
These are not answers found in a blog. I do not believe they are that hard to discover either. If we take a minute to listen to ourselves and how we react to our challenges we will know: What motivates me? It is then that our true creativity and best laid efforts can be reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment